Thursday, April 19, 2007

Pennies suck

I hate pennies. Every time I see a penny sitting somewhere it shouldn't be I am faced with a dilemma. A penny is essentially a piece of garbage...but I can't bring myself to throw them away 'cause technically it's money. Who throws away money? (literally, I mean) Yes, I have a loose (notice the correct usage of the word "loose") change jar at home, but I don't even want to go through the effort of packing the stupid thing around 'cause I hate having any change anywhere on my person.

So, in short...pennies suck. Enough with the pennies. Quit making 'em!

3 comments:

  1. So I heard on NPR the other day that it costs more money than a penny is worth to even mint the dumb things. Considering inflation, even my 2 cents should be worth at least a nickel... :-) What about the 9/10 of a penny that they charge at gas stations? Is anyone still fooled by that? Sure, the gallons decimal point goes out to 3 places, but the dollar? Who cares? Does the fact that it is 2.999 make me feel better than if it was 3? Whatever. Just quit trying to patronize us into thinking we are all stupid enough to not get it...

    Man, this blog thing is theraputic. I get a laugh from reading yours, then I get to either bag on your blog or make innane comments like this one. Maybe I should do my own - but who'd ever read it? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate cash or check in general. Love that credit card commercial where the fine oiled human machine is maching purchases, and then someone halts the whole process with their little checkbook. Cash is a nice disaster recovery plan--that's it!

    And then there is the matter of gift cards. Give me MONEY for my B-day. I seem to recall that it's supposed to be the same thing, but... BETTER! Woosh, yeah, this is therapeutic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the only reason pennies exist, and this is absolutely true, is to pay sales tax.

    everything could be priced in actual dollars, and nickels (instead of cents) but when they charge you 6.125% sales tax, you need pennies to hit the right amount.

    i'm with you though, pennies suck, and so do sales taxes!!!

    ReplyDelete