Friday, September 07, 2007

Come to Zion, Come to Zion

Because it's a great place. It is THE place, despite what Brigham Young said, as far as I'm concerned. Which is what has compelled me to write this entry. There is about a 98% chance that you, loyal reader, also make the following mistake, so this entry probably will not be a popular one. But that's okay because something needs to be said...

Let's cut to the chase. It's not "Zion's National Park". Nor is it "Zion's". Zion ain't a person, and he doesn't own the park. IT'S JUST ZION.

Z I O N period.

But don't just take my word for it, take a good long gander at the actual park sign:



See the apostrophe and the "S" after Zion? Yeah, me neither. Now, that said, see if you can identify what's wrong with the following sentence:

"We're going to go on a National Park tour. We'll start at Yellowstone's, then hit the Grand Canyon's, Yosemite's, Bryce's, Capitol Reef's...and end at Zion's."

(choose your own adventure blog, ala those books way back in the day):

If you identified 5 errors please go to the beginning of this entry. If you identified 6, please continue to the follow paragraph.

Congratulations, your comprehension skills are most impressive. The End.

5 comments:

  1. Good point. In defense of the majority, I should point out that the incorrect usage may not stem from poor grammar but rather from confusing the national park with a local financial institution--Zions Bank.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People in these parts like to add the 's to a lot of places where it doesn't belong: Nordstrom's, Penney's, Wal-Mart's, etc. Probably due to places like Macy's and Macey's, Dan's, Ream's... I've never understood, though, why Zions Bank doesn't have an apostrophe. It seems like they used to, back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What if there was a person named Zion and he really did own the park?!?

    I have to admit that I am guilty of this. But if this is all I am guilty of, I am probably doing OK.

    Nice pic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle makes an excellent point. I have an intense hatred for people who say "Nordstrom's".

    You, Lane, are funny. I'm linking to you on my page, and there's nothing you can do about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, thanks. I'm just a boy, in front of an internet...asking them to love...err, asking them to hear a gripe or two. That's all. :)

    ReplyDelete